Financial assistance available for those on septic systems – The Advocate-Messenger

Those who attend local wastewater treatment plant workshops can get a free service for their existing systems or even a longer break in repairs or replacements.

A workshop on the Boyle County Septic Tank will be held in the meeting room on the second floor of Inter-County Energy on Tuesday, March 3rd. A second workshop will be offered on March 16 in Lincoln County.

Lindsie Nicholas, watershed coordinator at Bluegrass Greensource, said the events were part of the Clarks Run and Hanging Fork watershed improvement program. Nicholas works with Jason Stevens, Environmental officer with The Boyle County Health Department about the project, she said.

Lindsie Nicholas, watershed coordinator at Bluegrass Greensource, says septic tank owners can take significant breaks from maintaining, repairing, or replacing systems by attending either of the two upcoming local workshops. (Photo submitted)

“We will have applications for those who are attending a workshop and living in the Clarks Run or Hanging Fork watershed to apply for a free septic tank pump-out or an 80/20 co-payment grant for septic tank repairs or replacements,” said Nicholas.

Failing systems can require expensive repairs and pose a serious health risk to family and neighbors, according to Nicholas. “It can also have a negative impact on water quality,” she said. Leaking or failing systems deliver raw sewage into our water catchment areas, which endangers both people and livestock in the region, as E. coli bacteria increasingly find their way into the waterways.

“There are many serious health problems that can arise when contracting untreated septic tanks,” she said. Proper maintenance is therefore essential to keep systems working efficiently and avoid the risk of costly downtime.

The free workshops are offered to teach how to properly care for them, protect the value of homes, and protect the environment, Nicholas said.

It is recommended that the system be serviced regularly every three to five years, and participants can apply for financial assistance to help achieve this.

Co-payment grants are also available that cover 80% of the repair or replacement cost. The homeowner is only responsible for the remaining 20%. You must live in the Clarks Run or Hanging Fork catchment areas.

Nicholas said the program is funded by a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant through the Kentucky Division of Water and is focused on improving these two drainage basins that are part of the Dix River Watershed.

Email Nichols for more information or questions [email protected] or by phone at (859) 266-1572.

You might also like

Comments are closed.