Newport News Times | Assistance available for damaged wells, septic systems

SALEM – Victims of the September fire at the Echo Mountain Complex, whose homes did not have access to water and sewage services through private wells and sewage treatment plants, are receiving funding through the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Individual and Household Program.

In a joint press release with the Oregon Office of Emergency Management last week, FEMA announced that Lincoln, Clackamas, Douglas Jackson, Klamath, Lane, Linn and Marion counties are eligible for government assistance to individuals and households for repairs, not normally covered by homeowners insurance, such as the repair or replacement of damaged sewage treatment plants and wells damaged by forest fires.

“Support from FEMA cannot duplicate insurance coverage,” the agency wrote in the press release. “Households that are not insured or have received an insurance policy that is below the cost of repairing major damage can apply to FEMA for assistance with the costs required to keep their homes functioning, including repairing or replacing private wells and / or septic tanks. “

To consider assistance with a damaged private well or wastewater treatment plant, contact FEMA online at, through the FEMA mobile app, or by calling 1-800-621-3362 between 7:00 am and 10:00 pm Seven days a week. Anyone who uses a telephone service such as the InnoCaption or CapTel video telephone must update FEMA with the number assigned to them for this service. Calls from FEMA often come from an unknown number.

Those who have applied to FEMA and have not yet had a home inspection should alert the FEMA inspector of the presence of a private well or sewage treatment plant on the property when the inspector visits the residence. FEMA applicants with homeowner insurance should contact FEMA Disaster Assistance at 1-800-621-3362 and notify the customer service representative that a well or septic tank is damaged in order for an inspection to be ordered.

Those who have already had a FEMA inspection and damage to a well or sewage treatment plant that has not been reported can send the agency a signed and dated letter along with a contractor’s estimate to repair the damage and state that they will a request for well / repair or replacement of damage to the septic tank.

Fire victims who received FEMA assistance to repair or replace a well or septic tank but are receiving additional financial assistance can also appeal. To do this, provide FEMA with a verifiable estimate and / or receipt showing that the well or sewer system has been physically damaged and / or is no longer functioning as a direct result of the disaster. Applicants must enclose a signed and dated letter with the contractor’s estimate.

If the submitted estimates and receipts do not contain all of the required information, FEMA will call the contractor to confirm the information is valid.

Disaster victims can also receive personalized damage control advice from a FEMA Damage Control Specialist, making them safer and stronger to repair and rebuild. Email for information on how to rebuild safely or to inquire about flood risks after wildfire [email protected]@

For the latest FEMA information on disaster recovery, visit FEMA Region 10 on Twitter and LinkedIn or visit

You might also like

Comments are closed.