ERIE, Pa., February 16, 2021 / PRNewswire / – In cold winter temperatures, the pipes can freeze – or even burst. Frozen water pipes and the damage they cause are a reality for thousands of people every year. However, you can take steps to prevent the lines from freezing.
While we can’t control the weather, Erie Insurance offers ten tips to keep your pipes from freezing:
Tip: Find out in advance how your homeowner’s insurance can work to repair damage from a frozen and burst water pipe.
- Drain water from pipes that are likely to freeze. This includes your pool and sprinkler water supply lines.
- Disconnect all the hoses from the outside of your house, drain the hoses, and store them in the garage. Make sure the indoor valves supplying these outdoor access points are closed.
- Isolate the area around vents and lights. This prevents heat from escaping into the attic.
- Seal all wall cracks. Pay special attention to the areas around the utility lines.
- Open kitchen cabinets. This allows the warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed to protect water pipes.
- Let your faucets drain cold water on the coldest days. The movement makes it difficult for the water to freeze.
- Keep your thermostat at the same temperature day and night. Never let it drop below 55 degrees Fahrenheit when you leave your home.
- Make sure all doors and windows are properly sealed.
- Put a 60 watt lamp in areas where you fear pipes will freeze. Make sure that there are no flammable materials near the light bulb.
Find out more about homeowner insurance that will keep you safe without surprises, or find a local ERIE Agent to help you feel safe about your insurance coverage.
About Erie Insurance
According to AM Best Company, Erie Insurance Group based in Erie, Pennsylvaniais the eleventh largest homeowner insurer and the twelfth largest auto insurer in the US based on direct premiums written and the 16th largest property / casualty insurer in the US based on total net written premiums. Rated A + (Superior) by AM Best Company, the group has nearly 6 million policies in place and operates in 12 states and the District of Columbia. The Erie Insurance Group is a FORTUNE 500 company.
Press releases and further information about the Erie Insurance Group can be found at www.erieinsurance.com.
SOURCE Erie Insurance Group
Comments are closed.