PITTSBURGH – In bitter cold temperatures, the water company urges customers to avoid frozen pipes.
Given the bitterly cold temperatures in the forecast, the Pennsylvania American Water Company is warning its customers to take precautionary measures to prevent frozen pipes.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WPXI apps for alerts as news breaks]
The company sent emails and robocalls this weekend advising homeowners to take the necessary action:
- Wrap insulation around exposed pipes and eliminate sources of cold air near water pipes.
- Run a small trickle of water overnight to prevent the pipes from freezing. The cost of the water is minimal compared to repairing the damage caused by burst pipes.
- Know the location of your main water shut-off valve. If a pipe freezes or bursts, turn off the water immediately.
- Do not attempt to thaw frozen pipes unless the water is turned off.
- Use heat from a hair dryer, space heater, or hot water to thaw pipes.
The water supply emphasizes not using a torch or open flame.
Comments are closed.